Saturday, July 12, 2008

Crazy, Crazy Day

Thursday was quite a crazy day. It started out with me not being able to eat my breakfast. I have these days where, for some mysterious reason, I can't eat breakfast. (No, I'm not pregnant!!) I will gag about 5 bites down and then finally give up. On Thursday, I only made it about 3, before almost throwing up and deciding it wouldn't be a good idea to keep going. So, I threw the rest away (Yes, it's a waste, but Carl can't eat it because it has nuts in it) and headed to work.

Now, this next part might sound a little bit selfish, but just read me out. Last week was the bank manager's birthday. We all pitched in some money and got her a nice present and had a little party complete with some very yummy lunch. So, yes I was expecting a little something for my birthday. Not the same extent, but maybe a little cake seeing how it was just a week later. Nada. No luck. My manager and Pam wished me happy birthday as I was leaving work and that was the only time my birthday was mentioned. Yes, I was slightly disappointed and yes, it is selfish, but I was only expecting something because we had done such a huge thing a week before for somebody else's birthday.

Oh, and somebody ate half my lunch. Grrr...we have a community fridge and everyday I put a fruit cup and a yogurt in there. Every day. And they're stacked on top of each other, so it's obvious they're together. I eat that a peanut butter sandwich for lunch. That's it. Just enough to hold me over until dinner and sometimes it makes me positively full. I was really looking forward to lunch because I didn't eat much breakfast. And somebody ate my yogurt! If you didn't bring it, don't eat it!

After work, I had an interview at Kaplan. They teach prep courses for the MCAT, LSAT, ACT, SAT and all those types of tests. Carl taught for them out in Utah. Well, because of my school schedule next semester, I can't work at the bank and thought Kaplan might be good, especially if I could get qualified to teach the NCLEX, which is the nursing licensure exam. Now, the interview was more of an audition. I filled out a little application online and told them my test scores and they called saying they were very interested in me. I had to go teach a little 5 minute lesson so they could see my teaching skills. I was very nervous and worried about getting there on time. It was up by Norwood, which nothing to most of you that read this, but I had to drive through Cincinnati during rush hour. Needless to say, I hit no traffic and got there a half hour early. It went very well, she seemed very impressed and I have an interview on Tuesday.

After my audition, I headed to youth conference. Carl had gotten a call that afternoon asking if he could come chapereon that night. After he got there, he found out they needed another female chapereon, so I got dragged into it as well. I got there right after dinner and so had a tiny tiny dinner, so Amber, I lost 3 pounds on Thursday! Hah! I was way overdressed, but that's okay. We ended up going swimming. There were some kids who were on swim team, and so challenged the leaders to a couple of relays. We did a 100 medley relay, which does backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly, and freestyle, and a 100 freestyle relay, where everybody does freestyle. The youth originally tried to get Carl and I onto their team, but then the leaders found out we used to swim. We changed sides pretty quickly, even though the youth offered to pay Carl. Well, we managed to drag up 8 leaders that had all been on swim team in their younger days, and so we had enough for two teams. My favorite was when we were planning who would swim what on the medley relay and the kid in charge of the youth team looked at me with the leaders and said "You're an adult leader?" and the color just drained from his face. I guess I don't look my age...

Well, we managed to stack one relay team by having a lady that used to swim for Skyline do back, a guy that was the state champion breaststroker his freshman year do breast, Carl doing fly, and for some odd reason, me anchoring doing free. (I think that was only because Carl's a better flyer that I am) Well, both of our teams beat the youth soundly. By about half a length. And we were only doing 25 yards each.

Well, the youth wouldn't have it, so we switched up the teams a little bit and did the free relay. And it was repeat. Once again, the youth's three teams couldn't take us on. They were quite upset, if I recall. So, one of the youth challenged Carl, the leader from Skyline, and another leader to a 50 free. I'll just say he lost. He was outtouched by Carl and that other leader (I think his name was Brian) and the lady from Skyline beat them all soundly. It was quite satisfying to know we all had in us and could beat youngster working out on a team everyday.

It was a very busy day and I didn't get home until about 11 that night. Details about my birthday to come!

3 comments:

Carl said...

I have to make an addition to Tiona's story about us out-touching that other kid. We had sprinted our hearts out during the relays and then he challenged us to a 50 yards. I was way in the lead after 25 yards, but since I was already tired I didn't do too well after that. The kid we raced is on swim team and so he can swim a lot further than us. I was pretty proud that I still beat him even though I am so out of shape and thought I was going to die from fatigue!!!

~brynn~ said...

tiona that kid who didn't know you were a leader probably was crushing on you because you're so good looking! carl better watch out...

~brynn~ said...

hey, when are we going to get the details about the big 2-3? I haven't heard anything!!