Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The First Shot

Yesterday was my first "official" day of clinicals. Like I said before, I'm on the neuro ward, so our patient had a stroke. It was sad, she had some memory problems. We were constantly reminding her that she was in the hospital and that we were taking good care of her.

Everytime I go into the hospital for my clinicals, it gives me a new appreciation for the health that I have and also for my family. I hope that when I get old and in the hospital, I'll have family there to visit me.

On some exciting news, I finally gave my first shot! And yes, Shanda, it was on a real patient. It was just a flu vaccine, but my clinical instructor said "alright, Tiona, you're giving her her vaccine." And my mind went completely blank. I couldn't remember anything I'd been taught about giving shots. Luckily, it came in a prefilled syringe, so I didn't have to deal with drawing it up. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. And no, I didn't tell my patient it was my first time.

On some other 'exciting' news, it's a test week for Carl. He's been doing nothing but studying all day, with some breaks for Mario Kart. These weeks have always been a joy for us...(yes, I'm being sarcastic)

No comments: