Friday, June 6, 2008

Second year here I come!

My first year of med school is now officially over. It feels good to be half way done with book work, but from what I hear second year makes first year look easy... I was kind-of sad today because our grades were posted today from Gross Anatomy and Brain and Behavior. I was pleased with my Brian and Behavior grade, but my Gross grade made me sad. For you people who aren't familiar with my school's grading, there are 5 grades--fail, remediate (it's a fail but you have a chance to redeem yourself), pass, high-pass, and honors. Many schools don't have the high-pass, so it is just pass or honors. Well, in most of my classes I sit in the high-pass range. I don't study nearly as much as my classmates because I decided that a happy wife is better than good grades (don't worry, I still study hard!).

Well, back to my story... When I looked at my grades today I saw that I am got a high pass in Gross Anatomy, which is great! However, the sad thing is that if I would have gotten ONE more question right on my last practical (that's where we have to name structures marked on our cadavers) I would have honored the class. ONE question. To make things worse, I only missed two questions on that practical, and on both questions I was unsure which muscle it was or if it was artery or nerve (when they are small, it's tough). Well, both times I was debating between the right and the wrong answer, and both times I chose the wrong answer. To make matters worse, I actually wrote the right answer down on one of them and then changed it! I know that many people say they never change answers, and I usually don't. But in my experience, I have had many tests where if I DIDN'T change my answer I wouldn't have gotten that A... I guess this time I was wrong! Ah-well, at least I passed, and you know what they say, P = MD...

Speaking of P = MD, do you know what they call the person ranked last in the graduating class at med school? . . . . . . . . . . . . Doctor!

3 comments:

Amber said...

Congratulations on your first year of med school. How many do you have left?? And congrats on the good grades...you always work so hard!

Spencer said...

Do you know what you call the guy who didn't get into med school?

Dentist.

Just kidding, dentists are great. Really.

~brynn~ said...

amazing grades anyway, carl! congratulations!