Monday, May 5, 2008

Bug Identification Quest

With the aid of the ever useful Google, Google images, and Wikipedia, I have successfully identified the insect that so loving frightened my wife. It is commonly known as the "house centipede" and scientifically as "Scutigera coleoptrata." This lovable creature has an average of 15 pairs of legs, but at birth has only 4 pairs. Each time the bug molts it gains 2 pairs of legs. Surprisingly, these bugs can live 3 to 7 years (assuming there aren't any bug-spraying husbands nearby). In addition, this lively critter feeds on cockroaches, spiders, ants, bedbugs, silverfish, and other household pests. Maybe the next time I see one I will offer it a spider or an ant before I spray it with bug spray...

As a side note, the bug is not life threatening and, according to Wikipedia, its fangs cannot usually pierce human skin. However, if it does, the bite is usually no worse than a bee sting and is rarely life threatening (only in extreme allergic reactions). I hope that makes Tiona feel a little better having a house centipede in our bedroom!

On a happier note, these bugs are loved in Japan, and can even be bought from the local pet store for your loved one at home! Luckily, I don't have to buy them!

3 comments:

Amber said...

Gross... I hope I never encounter something like that.

~brynn~ said...

I'm sure tiona is just thrilled that you wouldn't mind finding another one!

seriously, those were gross.

Tyler said...

Carl! You live on... that's good to know. Keep protecting life, especially your wive.