Thursday, March 5, 2009

You have pools in Utah?

I find it funny what people think of Utah. Or don't know about Utah. Until recently, my favorite had been about arches. When I first moved out here, somebody was explaining to me what Natural Bridge is. It turns out it's an arch in Southern Kentucky and there's a state park associated with it. The person explaining this to me asked "Do you have anything like that in Utah?" "Arches?" "Yeah. Arches. Like Natural Bridge." All I could do was smile and say "Umm...yes." She apparently hadn't heard of Arches National Park or didn't realize it was in Utah. This was my favorite until Tuesday.

On Tuesday, I went out to lunch with my clinical group. We do this at the end of every clinical and it's quite fun. We started talking about tanning and I mentioned I worked at a pool for a long time, until I got married. My instructor looked at me and said "You have pools in Utah?" Honestly, is Utah seen as that backward? It turns out, she thought that Utah would be too cold for a pool.

I guess it's not all about Utah. Carl's grandma was worried that Kentucky wouldn't have newspapers or freeways when his parents moved out here...

2 comments:

Britney said...

I didn't know natural bridges were the same as arches! When I was little and we would go to my grandparents' house, I would always see a sign that advertised a natural bridge in Arkansas. I always begged my mom to go there, but she never took me, so I never knew what it was. LOL

Carl said...

Actually--there is a subtle difference between an arch and a bridge, but they are both used interchangeably and Wikipedia says the choice is often "arbitrary." One definition is that a bridge was mainly formed by water while an arch was mainly formed by wind. Yeah, a bridge is an arch if you ask me...