Thursday, December 11, 2008

Bands Of America

Don't fall over in shock. I'm posting.

Quite a few weekends ago, the American Fork High School Marching Band had the opportunity to compete in Grand Nationals in Indianapolis. This is THE high school marching band competition of the year. Unfortunately, they don't do the competition like football, where the best of the best compete and then go on to Nationals. It's more of "whoever can pay the money and get their entire band out to Indiana can compete and we'll choose a winner out of them." It puts the bands out West at a disadvantage: they can't afford to come out here every year.

Well, the band came out to participate and my little sister came with them. My parents flew out as well, so we got to see them. (Indianapolis is only about 1 1/2 hours away from Cincinnati.) My parents actually flew into Cincinnati, we picked them up, showed them around for a few hours, and then we drove to Indianapolis and spent the weekend there.

I had some pictures, but I don't know where they went to. They're on Facebook, if you're that desperate. The band played great and Mallory was awesome. It was a lot of fun to see what the other bands were up to and the cool things they did.

The band didn't make it to finals, but did place 14th out of about 90 bands. They had a good experience and can now go back and dominate Utah. (They've placed first in the state for the last 16 years!) We loved that the band came out so that we could see my Mom and Dad and a little bit of Mallory. Thanks for letting us bug you all weekend long!

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

Yay! I am so excited to see you at Christmas! I am having a baby shower on the 27th! I will send the invitation to your mom's house :) Hope you will be able to come!