Thursday, October 23, 2008

There's a Reason I Don't Cook

I'm not a great cook. It's a fact of life. I never have been. I can remember burning rice in our apartment in SLC, filling it with smoke and Carl coming home to an open door and windows and asking "What's for dinner?"
Another memorable moment was when I spilled half of the stir fry onto the carpet here in Kentucky. Luckily, it was as I was putting dinner away, not putting it onto the table.
These are just a couple of examples of my kitchen disasters. For more evidence, see the following pictures.
These are some lovely cookies I baked today. Don't they look nice? Oh, and aren't those cookie racks awesome? Yes, ladies and gentlemen, they stack on top of each other. Saves a lot of room in counter-challenged-apartments.

However, upon looking at a close-up of the cookies, you notice something peculiar. What could it be? Yes, it is my reject pile. Those are the cookies I refuse to take to my friends house tonight either because they broke in half as I was getting them off the cookie sheet or because they fell on the floor after I knocked the cookie rack off the counter...

Most of them are the second reason. And that's what left after Carl said "You mopped the floor this week, right?" and ate some of them.

Yes, you read that right. Carl was putting cookies onto the second tier of the cookie racks and I knocked the cookie rack off the counter. Luckily, Carl managed to grab the second tier and save most of the cookies. The rest, however, we're doomed.

I guess know we know why my older sister called me "Klutz" growing up.

9 comments:

Abbie said...

Tiona, that's awesome! Kluziness is the way to be!! And I totally want that cookie rack - excellent!!

Anngie said...

How funnny...I too have burnt rice and have yet to master chocolate chip cookies(that is the only kind I have tried to bake). So props to you for actually making yummy cookies.My mom says she failed in teaching her girls in the baking/cooking department:) As for your klutziness, I agree with your friend only cool people are klutzy!

david o smith said...

Sorry to laugh at your misfortune, but that is hilarious.

Sheesh said...

Mmmmm! I think they look good! Way to go T! Every cook has a reject pile! Keep trying... it will get easier!

david o smith said...

You know, I had some friends that always accidently burned one of the cookie batches, but the rest would come out amazing. We decided it was a sacrifice to the cookie gods to bless the rest of them. Maybe you are doing something right.

Erik said...

I don't think it matters if some of your cookies end up getting sacrificed to the cookie gods because, if I remember correctly, you make a mean mac 'n cheese and that totally makes up for it :)

Haley said...

This is way random, but I grew up just a few houses away from Carl. I met you at the High School Reunion a few years back. It was fun to see what you guys are up to. Tell Carl hello for me.
Haley Paxman Castillo

Caleb and Shae said...

Tiona! Thanks for finding my blog! I'm really bad at cooking too! That's the hardest part of being married for me, being in charge of dinner. Keep in touch!

Mike,Shar,Ryan,Rex said...

Hey I made our blog private and I don't have an e-mail to send you guys an invite. e-mail me back at sharbee40@hotmail.com.