Sunday, October 12, 2008

Friends?

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about friends. In high school, I had a lot of friends. I had a big group of friends and there was always something to do on the weekends. As I look back on it now, I realize that I was very linked to my best friends, Alyssa and Krysta. While I loved all of my friends, if Alyssa and Krysta weren't going to a party, I didn't want to go. It wasn't that I didn't like my friends, for some reason that I can't explain, I didn't want to go. I guess I was a hidden introvert. I was more comfortable staying at home, reading my book, or spending time with my best friends, then with a huge group.

When I went off to college, I was determined to change. I could start over, with a new group of friends, in a new town. Unfortunately, it didn't happen. My roommates can attest to that! I mostly just wanted to stay at home, watch movies by myself or with my roommates, or read a book. I didn't make any friends other than my roommates.

After I got married, I wanted it to be different. I wanted to have friends, to go out as couples, and have fun. Unfortunately, Carl is too much like me. Both of us are too comfortable staying at home, watching a movie together than going out.

I also think that I don't make enough of an effort. I wait for people to come to me instead of going to them. By the time I begin to make an effort, it's too late. When we moved out here, we made some friends and were proud of us for being social. Now, we just stay at home, watching a movie. Friday, I fell asleep on the coach at 8:30.

I would like to be social, but both Carl and I have a hard time with it. We have friends at church and at school, but we rarely go out and do anything. Sometimes I just feel like we're doomed to not being social.

Sorry this post was confusing, I just had to get some things off my chest.

7 comments:

Britney said...

You must have been sick today since you were at home writing on your blog during church. :) I'm the same way as you. I have a hard time making friends. Brock is kind of shy too, but he's good at making friends. It seems like he's going out to lunch downtown with a different friend every day. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but he does it often.

Michelle said...

You know Ken is the same way. He would rather sit down and watch a movie (if he doesn't fall asleep first) than go out. I have a hard time with it, because I love to stay busy and after being cooped up in the house all day, there are times I would like to go out. It must be a Richards thing.

Anngie said...

It must run in the family, I am the same way. In high school I was always friendly to everyone but I had my besties, and when they couldn't do anything I would just stay home. and now I look forward to the weekend for reading a good book, or doing some deep cleaning. Luckily Jeff is the complete opposite he hates to just chill at home, he likes to go out. So that kinda helps me get out there and socialize. I like to consider myself a friendly nice person but not a social person. sorry so confusing.

david o smith said...

Talking about Krysta and Alyssa made me kind of nostalgic. Do you remember "Well that was arousing"? (From Green River). At least you guys have each other.

Erik said...

I'm so glad to be your friend! If we didn't live so far apart we would definitely go out at least once a year:) Erik and I have had the same sort of problem, though lately we have been trying to make more of an effort, and our best friends here in Cedar are Katy and Jeff, so we have a good time and try to get together about once a month. sometimes it happens, sometimes not.
I really don't have a baby bump yet, which is kind of depressing. Erik and I are the only ones who can tell a difference. Mostly I just look a little too fat for my clothes to fit quite right.
btw, I didn't know you had a blog either!

Amber said...

i totally hear you, sis. sammy and i are the same way. we have our friends from high schoola still, but have a hard time making friends around here. sadly enough, it actually takes some effort to make and keep friends. and when it comes down to it, we have too many excuses and we feel too uncomfortable to actually put forth the effort. but i'm going to overcome that barrier. there's a certain type of natural high i get from hanging out with our friends. and i need that high more often! good thoughts. (isn't it nice to know you're not alone?)

M D T and G said...

Things have been crazy since Tanner was born, but really love our friends and enjoy hanging out with them. We miss hanging out with you guys. Just know if you are home on a Friday night and want to watch a movie with someone other just Carl (not that watching a movie with your husband is fun, i enjoy it too), please don't be afraid to call. I was thinking we should do a girls night, what do you think?